Latest

Good Intentions

February 20, 2019

Graeme Hawley is the Head of General Collections at the National Library of Scotland (NLS). In this piece, the first of a regular series from NLS curators, he reflects on a chance encounter with a book in the collection. The occupational hazard in my work is curiosity. You train yourself after a while...

Rusticated… (IV)

February 6, 2019

If I’d thought quicker, I would have started humming Bolero. We don’t often see snow out here, with the influence of sea on three sides, but when it does come it falls with a curious intensity that borders on malice, the way a lapsing alcoholic might fall on a bottle of malt. There is always a...

Still Looking Forward: 2019 in Prospect

January 25, 2019

January has been far from a month of hibernation in the world of books: we have already...

New Bookshops to look forward to in 2019

January 20, 2019

As the book trade continues to face difficult times it appears that Scotland has something...

Author/Publisher takes home the 2019 Bookbug Picture Book Prize

January 18, 2019

Alan Windram is the deserving winner of this year’s Bookbug Picture Book Prize. Alan...

Current Edition

EDITORIAL

November 10, 2018

According  to Chambers Dictionary – perhaps the only book on our shelves that earns its daily keep – the word ‘maverick means ‘a person who does not conform, a determined individualist’. True mavericks are few. One such was John Calder who died in August in the midst of the Edinburgh Festival...

INCLUDE US OUT

November 10, 2018

CORRESPONDENCE COURSE

November 10, 2018

Subscribe from only £24

• Access to over 700 articles
  • 12 months online access
  • Receive 4 editions each year
  • Exclusive special offers

From The Vaults

A Bridge Too Far

May 30, 2015

In the last few years I have visited Queensferry several times to see how the new road bridge is coming along. On one occasion I ran into a grizzled, middle-aged American from Ohio. Over drinks in a nearby hotel he said he had been working on the bridge and was on his way home. What he told me took...

Alain-Fournier’s Solidarity Masterpiece

March 28, 2013

Youth is another country. They do things differently there, according to different rules, and in a language which is quite lost to us in later life. It is easy enough to capture early childhood in fiction. There are conventions about what the child knows and doesn’t know and because there is an adult...

Where Mary Met Muriel

June 27, 2013

Sometimes you meet an author who takes you by the hand, and engages some hitherto untapped corner of the mind. Mary Shelley was such for Muriel Spark, and Spark must have been for countless others. I would count myself one. My first conception of Scottish Literature (apart from Burns, omnipresent in...

Volume 9 – Issue 4 – New Poems – Beauty

November 26, 2013

One: Like a bird (for Kay)   Long ago, remember, when we lived on the beach at Takapuna, a Texan   teacher of maths bought a fisherman’s dizzy wife for one thousand pounds – a good   price, equal to one year’s professional salary. All three – the fisherman,   the Texan maths-man, the wife...