Latest

Emerging Critics Round 2 Now Complete

June 17, 2019

The second round of the Emerging Critics mentoring programme is now complete. Working in partnership with Creative Scotland, the Scottish Review of Books produced a 10 month course, through which sixteen aspiring critics were given the opportunity to access mentoring from some of Scotland’s leading...

Looking forward to Borders Book Festival

June 11, 2019

With only two days to go until the opening of this year’s Borders Book Festival in Melrose  the organisers must have everything crossed for a dry weekend. Trains will no doubt be full on the Borders Railway line – especially on the Saturday afternoon when crowds will flock not only to the Book...

Action Writing: Imagination and The Novel

June 6, 2019

The following is taken from a talk given by Kirsty Gunn at Mansfield College, Oxford, as part...

Catching Up With Joseph Heller

June 6, 2019

Catch-22, the greatest and funniest war novel ever written, has been made into a miniseries...

Is Creative Scotland more dictator than facilitator?

May 28, 2019

WAITING for exam results can scar you for life. I have a friend who, 50 years on, still has...

Current Edition

SRB at the Theatre: Strindberg in Perth

May 20, 2019

The programme, obviously, attributes the work to August Strindberg but adds that it has been adapted by Zinnie Harris, a writer much admired for a series of mordant plays which deal unflinchingly with issues of our times. However, the words ‘adapted by’ now cause a flutter of apprehension...

Stone Voices

May 20, 2019

In Search of Seamus

May 20, 2019

Second Thoughts

May 20, 2019

Subscribe from only £24

• Access to over 700 articles
  • 12 months online access
  • Receive 4 editions each year
  • Exclusive special offers

From The Vaults

A Bridge Too Far

May 30, 2015

In the last few years I have visited Queensferry several times to see how the new road bridge is coming along. On one occasion I ran into a grizzled, middle-aged American from Ohio. Over drinks in a nearby hotel he said he had been working on the bridge and was on his way home. What he told me took...

The James Trilogy

September 15, 2014

THE cry ‘Whaur’s yer Wullie Shakespeare noo?’ first uttered at the 1756 premiere of John Home’s play, Douglas, has echoed down the years in the legends associated with Scottish theatre. It is not sober to reissue it now, not even after watching Rona Munro’s magnificent trilogy, and not only...

Volume 1 – Issue 1 – Editorial

October 28, 2009

AS the First Minister, Jack McConnell, reminded us at the opening of the Holyrood parliament, we are a disputatious nation. Argument comes easily to us. There is something in our psyche, something deeply rooted in ours souls, something in the pugnacious northern air, that propels us to take issue, dispute,...

Growing Up with Glasgow

March 21, 2016

MY grandmother, Mary McGrath (née Dunn), lived much of her life on Saracen Street in Possilpark, Glasgow. She was married to John McGrath, a biscuit salesman, and they had a daughter and two sons. John’s parents were wed in the Catholic Chapel in Moy, County Tyrone and the marriage certificate describes...