Latest

Scottish Review of Books Funding

May 22, 2019

It is with the greatest regret that the Board of Scottish Review of Books Limited announce a break in regular publication of the PRINT edition of the quarterly magazine. Our latest funding application has been turned down by Creative Scotland, part-funder of the magazine for the last 15 years. We hope...

In Search of Seamus

May 20, 2019

The village of Bellaghy has become a place of pilgrimage not for martyrs but for poetry lovers who come to pay homage to Seamus Heaney who died in 2013, aged 73. The grave and its simple headstone are a modest tribute to a writer who is credited with unifying his country and who remained faithful to...

Iolaire

May 20, 2019

THERE is already a strong body of responses, in oral literature, song, story, drama,...

For the Good Times

May 20, 2019

‘FUCKING Glasgow, my friend, it’s just like Belfast, the same rivalries, the same...

Underland

May 20, 2019

ROBERT Macfarlane, whose career has been in steep ascent since 2003, began with a book...

Current Edition

SRB at the Theatre: Strindberg in Perth

May 20, 2019

The programme, obviously, attributes the work to August Strindberg but adds that it has been adapted by Zinnie Harris, a writer much admired for a series of mordant plays which deal unflinchingly with issues of our times. However, the words ‘adapted by’ now cause a flutter of apprehension...

Underland

May 20, 2019

Stone Voices

May 20, 2019

Subscribe from only £24

• Access to over 700 articles
  • 12 months online access
  • Receive 4 editions each year
  • Exclusive special offers

From The Vaults

A Bridge Too Far

May 30, 2015

In the last few years I have visited Queensferry several times to see how the new road bridge is coming along. On one occasion I ran into a grizzled, middle-aged American from Ohio. Over drinks in a nearby hotel he said he had been working on the bridge and was on his way home. What he told me took...

Alain-Fournier’s Solidarity Masterpiece

March 28, 2013

Youth is another country. They do things differently there, according to different rules, and in a language which is quite lost to us in later life. It is easy enough to capture early childhood in fiction. There are conventions about what the child knows and doesn’t know and because there is an adult...

Archie Hind’s Lost Novel

October 20, 2009

AN EXTRACT WAS ALL that was ever published. This was 35 years ago in a magazine which presented it as a novel in progress. The title was given there as For Sadie. A later manuscript changed this to Für Sadie, playing on a thematic link with Beethoven’s sonatina Für Elise, because it is a story about...

Panama Hell

March 21, 2016

WHEN rumours leaked out that the Scots were considering setting up a trading colony in Panama, the Prince of Orange, William III, denounced them as ‘raging madmen’. Even the Pope waded into the growing chorus of disapproval, condemning a venture that threatened to undermine the Catholic believers...